Account Apps Cards Product Info Signup #{getPageTitle()}An icon of check mark insiside a sublime circle#{getPageTitle()}An icon of check mark#{getPageTitle()}An icon of of a smartphone, representing a phone application#{getPageTitle()}An icon of right pointing arrow#{getPageTitle()}An icon of downwards pointing arrow#{getPageTitle()}An icon of question mark inside a circle#{getPageTitle()}Down pointing arrow#{getPageTitle()}Right pointing arrow#{getPageTitle()}Icons represeting a flipping or switching action

Hey, how can we help?

What does N26 do with my tax information?

ℹ️ Applies to all regions

The OECD requires certain tax information to be shared by means of the Common Reporting Standard (CRS). To carry out our obligations, we must establish which country you’re taxable in. We do this through your tax identification or National Insurance number.

We forward this information via the German Federal Tax Office to tax authorities in other countries if:

  • You live in a CRS participating country.
  • You have a postbox or a second registered address in another CRS participating country.
  • When registering you gave a telephone number belonging to another CRS participating country.
  • You have a standing order, or make regular payments, to an account located in another CRS participating country.

We also forward data to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) according to the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). We may request your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to check your tax status in the U.S. because:

  • You are a citizen of the U.S (including dual citizenship).
  • When registering you gave a telephone number belonging to the U.S.
  • You were born in the U.S. (or in a U.S. embassy located abroad).
  • You’re married to a U.S. national.
  • You gave us an address in the U.S.
  • You make regular payment transfers to the U.S.

To update your tax identification or social security number in the N26 app:

  • Go to My Account and tap on Settings then Account settings
  • Select Personal settings then Tax information
  • Select the country in which you’re tax-liable
  • Enter either your tax identification number or your social security number

Important information

  • In Germany, we need your steueridentifikationsnummer (11 digits) not your steuernummer (9 digits).
  • In each and every case your personal data will be securely stored and only used for the fulfilment of CRS and FATCA requirements.
  • We’re unable to advise you on your tax status. If you’re unsure of your status please discuss the matter with a tax advisor.
  • If you’ve entered the country in which you 're liable for tax but not your tax identification number, remove the country from the list in the app, reenter the country, and enter your tax identification number again.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!

Still need help? Chat with us!

Open a chat in the Help section of the app or by logging into the WebApp.