Identification: How to prove your identity
As a bank, we need to know who you are. That’s why you need to show us your ID.
We pay attention to a few things – specifically your personal data, as well as some security features of your valid ID.
After you have validated your email address you will be guided to one of a three ways to verify your identity:
- Take a picture of your ID plus a selfie in the N26 app (not available in Germany)
- Start a video call directly from the N26 app
- Check in at your closest post office to show your ID there (only available in Germany for specific nationalities)
After you tell us which type of ID you want to introduce yourself with, we will offer the best option to you.
You can find a list of all passports and ID cards that can be used for the verification here:
Which ID we can or cannot accept depends on what the regulations allow. If your passport or ID card is not on list above, it means it doesn’t meet the minimum regulatory requirements for any of the three verification channels we offer.
This unfortunately also means that we cannot offer you an account, at least not until we are able to verify you. But you can be assured that we are constantly adding new documents, so it is worth checking back on this list to see if yours has been added.
Please be aware that customer verification is something we need to take very seriously. If your ID is not on the list, our Customer Service will not be able to help or make an exception for you.
Solving frequent issues:
- The video call can fail in low light conditions or due to bad picture quality. Please make sure to make the call in a bright surrounding, use a phone with a good camera, and a fast internet connection.
- If you take a picture of your ID and a selfie and the first attempt doesn’t go through, just start over again. If that isn’t possible, we’ll notice and will send you an email once you can proceed. This can take a few days though.
As soon as the verification is complete, we’ll send you your N26 Mastercard.